Charles Ellis PTA
Family Questions and Concerns: Q&A from School Council
Families, we’re all experiencing varying degrees of anxiety with more unknowns than we can shake a stick at. Many of you are frustrated about a number of things, running busy households, scheduling work, virtual school and other activities being at the top of that list. SCHEDULES WILL GO OUT TOMORROW. Here are more detailed answers to questions that were raised:
· You will receive schedules tomorrow directly from your child’s teacher. These will arrive via the communication method your teacher uses with you (outlined in your welcome letter). Remind App, Email, etc.
· Schedules will be posted on the Charles Ellis Website tomorrow. http://internet.savannah.chatham.k12.ga.us/schools/Ellis/default.aspx
o Zoom meetings will not be posted, as the Charles Ellis website is public. You will receive those separately from your teacher.
WHEN WILL MY CHILD MEET HIS/HER CLASS
· Zoom meet and greets for families will take place on Monday afternoon | evening. Look for information in the communication from your teacher that goes out tomorrow.
WHAT WILL THE FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL LOOK LIKE | WHEN DO I GET A LOGIN FOR THE ITSLEARNING PLATFORM
· The first day of school will start with classroom group meetings NOT with logging into itslearning. Refer to the communication you get tomorrow from your teacher
· The first day of class will not begin immediately with logging in to ITSLEARNING. Those logins have not yet been sent from SCCPSS.
· Chromebooks will be distributed to 3rd graders tomorrow. Distribution of technology for PreK-2 is TBA. SCCPSS has yet to communicate when / how this will happen. iPads are being ordered at the District level, but they aren’t expected to arrive until mid-September at the earliest.
WHAT IS THE EXPECTATION OF HOW ELLIS WILL USE ITSLEARNING
· The Charles Ellis community is working with district personnel to ensure that the Montessori curriculum is integrated into the platform.
· PreK-6 will continue to use Transparent Classroom. Transparent Classroom will be a link on ITSLEARNING
· Montessori lessons will, like always, be project/activity based. Children will get lessons individually and in groups from teachers online, and then work on projects away from their computers/devices.
· Learning will be different for different grade levels, and there are still many unknowns from SCCPSS.
HOW MANY SPECIAL EDUCATION TEACHERS ARE AT ELLIS AND WHAT IS THE PLAN FOR THE SPED PARAS BEING UTILIZED IN PROVIDING INSTRUCTION FOR SPECIAL EDUCATION STUDENTS
· THERE ARE 2 Full-Time SPED teachers, 3 Full-Time Paraprofessionals and 1 SPED half-time vacancy.
· Families with IEPs should have been contacted directly about distance learning plans and scheduled meetings.
· Distance Learning guidelines for Students with disabilities from SCCPSS are here: https://spwww.sccpss.com/Documents/Distance%20Learning%20Plan%20Process.pdf#search=IEP
HOW WILL EXPOLRATIONS (ART, MUSIC, SPANISH, STEM, PHYSICAL EDUCATION, TECNHOLOGY) CLASSES WORK
· There will be an exploration every day. Included in the rotation will be a Social/Emotional exploration facilitated by the school counselors.
HOW WILL GEP (GIFTED) INSTRUCTION HAPPEN
· GEP will be part of the daily schedule. Instructional flex time is built into each day. If your child is in the Gifted Program, they will participate in GEP during that time. GEP teachers will reach out to GEP families during the second full week of school, if not before.
WILL THERE BE BENCHMARK TESTING (FROM ELLIS AND/OR SCCPSS) SO THAT I KNOW WHERE MY CHILD STANDS DEVELOPMENTALLY AND WHERE THEY SHOULD BE?
· The district assessment calendar is published on the SCCPSS website: https://spwww.sccpss.com/dad/aar/Documents/SY20-21%20Assessment%20Calendar.pdf#search=assessment
o This is subject to change based on any decisions made at the state level
· MAP https://www.nwea.org/ will be part of benchmark assessments. Coach Leslie and Ms. Jennifer are liaisons.
· There will continue to be common formative assessments at certain grade levels per the Montessori curriculum.
· Transparent Classroom is a terrific resource for parents. Teachers document lessons, developmental progress, and related communication to parents.
MONTESSORI “TO-GO” BOXES
· Still in the works! Ms. Laura is working with Montessori Partners for Georgia.
· These will be distributed a little later in the quarter once the classroom communities are established.